If you aim for nothing, you’ll always hit it!
What are the key results that you wish to produce in the business over the next 12 months? These objectives should be specific and measurable. Once you have the goal in mind, work your way backwards with milestones you need to achieve in order to reach your outcome.
Here’s Some Example Objectives
▪ Grow the monthly sale of widgets from 5,000 units to 10,000 units by December 31st 20XX.
▪ Implement job descriptions for each team member and key processes systemized by June 31st 20XX.
▪ Increase my conversion rate on all retail sales from 20% to 45% by June 30th 20XX.
▪ Increase my average profit margin from 20% to 40% by September 30th 20XX.
▪ Introduce new product line generating a minimum of $12,000 in sales per month by October 1st 20XX.
If you are unsure about the objectives you have chosen, be S.M.A.R.T.E.R. than the average to maximize your opportunities to succeed.
Specific – The more detail the better
Measurable – Can you track its progress?
Ambitious – It gets you excited, maybe even a little nervous just thinking about it!
Reachable – Able to be accomplished – at a stretch?
Time Bound – What is the finish line – desired date/time?
Evidence – What evidence will you produce/share when complete?
Reward – What is the celebration?
Remember to review your key results periodically and not just at the end of the timeline when it’s too late to make adjustments that may be required. This means you may need to create milestones to track progress so you can make the necessary adjustments proactively towards your desired outcome.